Why start a blog
- Record of where we’ve been, what we’ve done and what we learnt along the way. While photos are great reminders it is good to record the stories too.
- I don’t want to be afraid of a blank sheet of paper (or the white page on the screen). I do a lot of writing for work but I want to get better so why not force myself to be creative regularly and write about something I enjoy.
- A blog is something I always mean to start before a big trip but I always had an excuse not to. Namely nobody will read and nobody will care. I toiled with the idea of making this private, a journal, instead. Perhaps someone might find inspiration from the posts, go somewhere different or learn something. Maybe you might find that you can take 2 weeks off work and manage to fit in
I suspect this blog will evolve and develop its own personality as I write more.
In the meantime here are 8 things you should know about the person behind the blog.
- I am a Kiwi and live and work in Wellington, New Zealand.
- I work full time for a government department (here comes the disclaimer- my views are my own). That means most of my travel is done on weekends and by taking leave like most of you. That’s why I’m a part time tourist (hey that’s the name of the blog).
- Despite point 2 above we travel a fair amount. In the past year we managed to go to 11 countries and travel a far bit around NZ.
- Who’s we? My husband Andrew and me. Andrew is the super organised bit camera shy one.
- I’m not a thrill-seeking adrenaline junkie. I like drinking champagne inside planes not jumping out of them.
- I am a bit of an introvert. This may (or may not) lead to a slightly different take on places to many other travel blogs.
- Nice things matter to me. I have graduated from backpacking to king sized beds in the hotel chains I used to mock. We try fly business when we can but try do it on the cheap.
- I only take a carry on bag. I think is filled with dresses and my attempts to be a glamorous Part Time Tourist.
So that’s my introduction. Now the real fun begins.